Windows 10 is the latest Microsoft operating system, accessible across multiple devices such as phones, PCs, and Xboxes. As with any upgrade, you may be overwhelmed by a number of features the new operating system offers. Here are a few tips and tricks to help you get acquainted with Windows 10.
Make the most of the Start Menu
Users are happy to have the Start Menu return, as it hasn’t been a part of the Windows operating system since Windows 8. The new Start Menu offers many features, such as Live Tiles, access to your apps, and pinned items.
- Power options – You can, shut down, reboot, or put your PC to sleep from the Start Menu. Click “Power” to access these options.
- Applications – Click “All apps” to see your applications in alphabetical order.
- Live Tiles – You can right click any of the live tiles and select “Pin to Start” to show them in the start menu. Additionally, you can resize, reorder, and turn off tiles you don’t want to see.
- Search feature – Looking for something? Open the start menu and begin typing the name of the file or program you’re looking for.
- Customization – Under Settings/Personalization, you can choose what apps are automatically added to the Start Menu.
With all these options, you can turn your Start Menu into your own command center for frequently used applications.
Use Cortana as a personal assistant
Cortana is the voice assistant for Microsoft. To begin using Cortana, click the search box next to the Start Menu and select the Cortana icon (a circle) in the bottom-left corner. After you accept the agreement, you’ll need to activate the Voice Search hotword, which you can access in the Notebook icon of Cortana’s sidebar menu. Click Settings and then select “Learn my voice” to begin using Cortana with voice commands. Cortana features include:
- Saved locations – provide your work and home address, as well as other favorite places to get better directions and traffic information.
- Reminders – Cortana can remind you to do things on a daily or as-needed basis, such as “Remind me to pick up flowers for my wife at 5:00 PM today.”
- Directions – Use Cortana for directions to places near and far.
There are many other uses for Cortana, including finding files and even telling a joke.
Find files easily in File Explorer
File Explorer, formerly Windows Explorer, has several improvements including the following:
- Search box – Only searches the current drive or folder you selected to help narrow your search.
- Pin folders – You can now pin folders or libraries to Quick Access by right clicking them in File Explorer. The folder or library will now be accessible in the left pane.
Other cool features:
- Gain hard drive space by removing old files from the previous version of Windows if you know you won’t revert back to a previous version.
- Change the login screen background.
- Easily sync files across all your devices to OneDrive.
These are just a few of the top features, but there is a lot more that Windows 10 can do to increase productivity and simplify your access. For more information about Microsoft applications and products, including Windows 10, contact us today.